Where can I go for help?

There are many ways you can report a crime or an incident to Cambridgeshire Constabulary or the wider police force.


If you are not in immediate danger you can call 101 to report a crime or incident. You can also report an incident online here. 

Public transport

If you witness abuse on public transport, report it to the driver or guard. If travelling by train, you can also report it to the British Transport Police by texting 61016 or reporting it online.


If you witness any inappropriate content online, report it to the social media site administrators. If you are receiving messages which are considered criminal such as threats to your life, safety or property, persistent harassment, or ongoing abuse, get in touch with the police by calling 101 or reporting it online - or calling 999 in an emergency.

There are a number of other services if you’d like to report an incident or seek help and support across Cambridgeshire: https://www.cambs.police.uk/

Rape Crisis

The Cambridge and Peterborough Rape Crisis Partnership provides specialist support services for survivors and victims of rape, sexual abuse and any form of sexual violence. Services include a confidential telephone helpline, counselling and therapeutic support services, email support, group work and a countywide Independent Sexual Violence Advocacy service (ISVA). Find out more on the website *

Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Domestic Abuse & Sexual Violence Partnership

The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Domestic Abuse & Sexual Violence Partnership brings together agencies supporting survivors across the county. Information about local support services and a wealth of information for survivors, and professionals, can be found online here.

The Elms SARC

The Elms SARC is a service for adults and children who have experienced sexual violence or sexual abuse. The Elms SARC offer support, guidance, a medical assessment/treatment, a forensic examination, and the opportunity of aftercare referrals for support services. The team will help you to get the help and support you need. Find out more about the services offered *

Ask for Angela

Ask for Angela is a national campaign in place in bars, clubs and other licensed businesses across the UK. If you are feeling safe whilst you’re out, head to the bar or to a member of staff and simply ask for ‘Angela’. They will know what to do and will help you get to a safe space, will call you a taxi, or help you out discreetly. There will be posters in the venues who are supporting this initiative. Find out more about this campaign here 


In an emergency, call 999. If you have a hearing or speech impairment and are registered with the police, text 999 or use textphone and contact 18000. If you’re in a situation where it’s unsafe to speak, call 999, then press 55 to be transferred to a police call handler trained to deal with ‘silent calls’.

Public areas

If you’re in a public area such as restaurant, bar, club or shop, report the incident to staff or security. They will be able to escalate this if needed.

Street Safe Tool

The Street Safe Tool is a service for anyone to anonymously tell the police about public spaces you have felt or feel unsafe in. This could be because of environmental issues such as street lighting, abandoned buildings or vandalism and/or because of behaviours, such as being followed or verbally abused. Find out more here.

Mountain Health

Mountain Healthcare is a dedicated provider of Sexual Assault Referral Services, Police Custodial Healthcare, and healthcare within the Secure Estate. Providing a patient focused, safe and appropriate service, delivered by well-trained, enthusiastic, and motivated healthcare professionals. Find out more on the website here

Cambridge Women’s Aid

Cambridge Women’s Aid helps to support women and children who have been affected by domestic abuse. You can get in touch with them via telephone, email, or live chat on their website. They can help you with safe refuge, an outreach service, support groups, and more. For more information on Cambridge Women’s Aid, visit their website


Samaritans are a charity who are available day or night to be able to help and support you if you are in need. They are there to give you a listening ear, support, and help to face your problems together with them. If you want to find out more about the Samaritans go online.

* Please note, if you decide to seek help from one of these organisations after experiencing a rape or sexual assault, they will be able to help preserve your forensic evidence. This way, if you decide to later report the incident, your evidence will be saved for you.